Note: Only users with a default access of System Administrator are able to place this application. Users with a default access of Site Administrator, or those given additional access will be able to administer the application, but not place it unless a user override is given on a particular page.
Administering the application (back-end)
You can reach the administration page of the Event Calendar two ways:
- Click on Apps under the Site menu of OneWeb. From here select the Event Calendar from the list of applications.
- If an Event Calendar application is already placed on your website, you can simply hover over the application/content block and click on Administer.
- The Event Calendar module can be placed on a child site and configured to display events from the parent site.
- When you administer the Event Calendar application, you will see a list of events (if events have been created already). You can toggle back and forth between the Manage Events and Manage Categories screen, using the links at the top of the screen:
Adding a new event
- Click on the Add button on the main screen of the Event Calendar administration.
- From here you can name your event, assign it to a category, set the date(s), write a description and add some other information such as location and a summary (the summary is what displays on the main events page on the website to give users an idea of what the event is about).
- Clicking the 'Published' check box will make your event show up on your website. You can create an event, leaving this check box unchecked and publish it at a later time.
- You can also add in some more detailed information about your event by clicking over to the Additional Details tab. These can be set up when you create the event, or you can modify the event at a later date.
- If filled out, the Event Website appears as a 'View event website' link, and the Registration Website appears as a 'Register Now' link.
When creating a new event, you'll notice that the Category field is required to create the event. Therefore, you will need to create at least one general category.
- Click on the Manage Categories link at the top of the main screen of the Event Calendar administration.
- You will see a field at the top of the screen. Type in the category name (ex: General, Music, Conference, etc.) and click the Add button. This category will now show up in the list of categories available to you when a creating an event.
Placing the application
Before you place the Event Calendar application on your site, you
should have 2 pages already created: your main event calendar page and one
hidden subpage – to display the event details.
- Hover over the content block in which
you wish to place the Event Calendar application and then click on Replace
with > Application.
- Select the Event Calendar from the list of available applications. Here you will be required to set up your parameters:
Mini calendar- This is the mode is often used in a side content block. It shows a calendar where users can click on a month or exact date to see events happening at that time.
List - This is the mode you should choose for your main content block on your Event Calendar page. It shows a certain number of upcoming events and people can click on an event to see more details.
Details - This is the mode you should choose for your hidden subpage. It shows the details of whichever event a user clicks on from the main Event Calendar page.
Lure - This mode is used on the homepage in a content block designated to act as a teaser/lure for the Event Calendar page. It shows a certain number of upcoming events that the user can click on.
Search - This mode is often used in a side content block of the main Event Calendar. It allows users to search for events by keyword, category and/or date.
Add an event - This mode allows site users to submit their own events. You can specify an administrator email address, so that the event administrator will be notified each time an event is added.
Depending on which application mode you select, the fields/settings relative to that mode will appear. They may be any of the following:
This parameter is used to redirect the user to a results page for the application, according the application's current mode. For example, in Upcoming Events mode, the results page would be the hidden Event Details page.
Link to this page
Using the lure mode, you will be required to specify the page (usually where all of the events are listed) to link the lure to, so when the user clicks, they will be directed to view all events.
You can select any combination of categories to display. If no selection is made then all available categories will display.
This parameter allows you to specify the date format which will be applied to the dat of the event.
This parameter allows you to specify the time format which will be applied to the time of the event
Items per page
This parameter allows you to specify how many events are shown on each page. For example, using the Upcoming Events application mode, you could specify to show the next 10 upcoming events before paging links are created below the list.
This allows you to specify the total number of most recent events to display. If left blank, all events will display.